Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Explosives Licensing

If you have explosives you must obtain an explosives license.

There are two types of certificate: 

‘Acquire only’ certificate – to permit a person or company to obtain explosives that are to be used immediately, and not kept overnight 

‘Acquire and keep’ certificate – to allow a person or company to obtain explosives and keep them in an approved storage place


Application Forms 

ER4 RFD Grant/Renewal of Explosives Certificate

ER4a Grant/Renewal of Explosives Certificate

ER4b Renewal of Explosives at same time as Firearm/Shotgun renewal


Storage Licence

Responsibility for licensing some stores has moved from Trading Standards Department to the Police. The following form (ER2) should be used by RFDs applying to store explosives:

Form ER2 Application for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations 2014


Re-enactment events

Guidance for re-enactment events (non-statutory)