Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

News

Former teachers convicted of sex offences against pupils at Sussex public school

05 Jul, 2018 14:06 News Justice Done
Former teachers convicted of sex offences against pupils at Sussex public school

Two former teachers at Christ's Hospital School in Horsham have been convicted of sexual offences against pupils in their care at the school in the 1980s and 1990s, following a Sussex Police investigation and a five-week trial at Hove Crown Court.

Gary Dobbie, 67, of Rue De La Piale, Albi, France, (left in attached photo) and Andrew Husband, 68, of Wigginton Road, York, (right in attached photo) had both pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Dobbie was convicted of 15 offences against eight pupils aged between 12 and 19;
- six counts of indecent assault on a boy (five of the counts relating to multiple occasions) between 1990 and 1996;
- one count of indecent assault on a boy between 1988 and 1990;
- two counts of indecent assault on a woman between 1995 and 1996;
- one count of indecent assault on another woman between 1994 and 1995;
- one count of attempted indecent assault on a man in 1990;
- one count of indecent assault on a boy aged 17 between 1993 and 1994;
- one count of indecent assault on a man, a former pupil, aged 21 in 2001;
- two counts of indecency with a boy between 1989 and 1991;

Husband was convicted of six offences - five counts of indecent assault and one count of rape, all against a girl in mid-teens between 1990 and 1994.

The victim of the offences by Husband is the same as the victim of Dobbie of the count of indecent assault on a woman between 1994 and 1995.

Three further counts of alleged rape of the same girl by Husband were discontinued during the trial.

Both men were remanded in custody for sentencing. Husband will be sentenced of Friday 13 July. No date has yet been arranged by the court for Dobbie to be sentenced.

Detective Inspector Wendy Burton of the Sussex Police Complex Abuse Unit said; "This has been a very complex and sensitive investigation in which we gained the confidence and support of nine people, who relived their distressing experiences of many years previously and gave evidence in court.

"We also emphasise that that all the matters involved in this case occurred between 17 and 30 years ago, and do not not involve any recent staff or pupils at the school.

"Our investigation began in January 2016 when the victim of Husband contacted the school and reported the abuse. She subsequently made a statement to us and also said that Dobbie who was the school chaplain had, on learning of the systematic abuse of her by Husband, indecently assaulted her himself.

"As we began our investigation we spoke to other ex-pupils and ex-staff members and it became clear that Dobbie had also systematically exploited and abused other pupils over a period of up to eight years.

"We have had the fullest co-operation from the school throughout this investigation, and they have supported us in providing all the information we requested, which helped us to contact victims and witnesses.

"This case further demonstrates we will take all allegations of such abuse seriously, and will seek to investigate and to help victims gain access to sources of independent advice and support.

"Anyone suffering such abuse, now or in the past, does not need to stay silent. You can contact us online or by calling 101, and arrange to talk in confidence to experienced investigators."

For further advice and information on combating child sexual abuse see the Sussex Police website

Share

Latest News