Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

A licence may be required. Bats are a European Protected Species (EPS) and, as such, it is an offence for anyone to injure or handle a bat, disturb a roosting bat or damage a resting place of a bat without a licence. You should contact the bat advice service for details and to find out the best time of year to carry out this kind of work and which chemicals are safe for bats:

Bat Conservation Trust Advice Line: 0845 1300 228

Licences and further guidance can be obtained from the following authorities:

Natural England
Tel: 0845 6014523

Welsh Government
Tel: 0300 062 2253

For more information and an application form for a licence, please see the related websites.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.