Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

There are strict regulations with regards to bat conservation that you need to be aware of prior to starting any project of this nature. In England, Natural England can grant what is known as a European Protected Species (EPS) Licence, this will allow you to carry out the work subject to certain conditions. In Wales the issuing authority is the Welsh Government (links can be found in 'Related Information'). However, in order to obtain the licence you will need to gain the services of an Environmental Consultant who will help you to plan what will happen to the bats. Bats are a protected species and the licence will not be granted if there is no proposal included for re-homing the bats. For more detailed advice on this subject please contact;

Bat Conservation Trust
5th floor,
Quadrant House,
250 Kennington Lane,
London SE11 5RD
United Kingdom
0845 1300 228

You must not go ahead and carry out the work without consulting the above organisations as you will be committing a criminal offence and could be liable for a large fine or a custodial sentence.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.