Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

As a European Protected Species (EPS ), there are strict regulations with regards to bat conservation that you need to be aware of prior to starting any project of this nature. In England, a government agency called Natural England offer advice on such matters and may arrange a visit your home to offer you the necessary help. Their advice may be to wait for six weeks until the bats have left for the autumn to carry out your work, or to suggest the use of bat boxes to re-home the bats.

In Wales, the Welsh Government is responsible for monitoring any disturbance of bats and, like Natural England, they are able to grant a licence for work to be carried out in certain circumstances. You must not go ahead and carry out the work without first consulting the appropriate authority as you will be committing a criminal offence and could be liable for a large fine or custodial sentence. See the websites in related information to find details of the appropriate agency.

Further information relating to the conservation of bats and the protection afforded to them can be found on the website of the Bat Conservation Trust.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.