Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Firstly you should speak to your parents or guardian. Whatever has happened your parents or guardians may be more supportive than you think. Your parents were young once and although initially they might be shocked/angry, hopefully they would do their utmost to help you.

If you feel that you cannot speak to your parents then perhaps a trusted adult, a family friend or relative will be able to help you.

If you do not feel confident confiding in them then perhaps try Childline 0800 1111. With Childline you are completely in control you can say as much or as little as you want. However, the more you say, the more likely it is that you will get the best advice.

You can also contact the police, the police have specialist officers that are trained to deal with young people and their problems.

Whatever has happened to you, however serious your problem it will have happened to someone else you are not alone. You will feel better for sharing your problems with someone who is better equipped to advise you.

For more help and information please see the websites in related information. There is a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube guide to the website.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.