Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

In order to get your vehicle released you must:

· Prove you are the registered keeper or the owner of the vehicle.
· Pay the charges for the removal and retention of the vehicle.
· Produce at the police station specified on the notice a valid certificate of insurance covering your use of the vehicle and a valid driving licence authorising you to drive the vehicle.

On some occasions the driver of a vehicle will be unable to satisfy the document requirements i.e. they will not have a valid driving licence or certificate of insurance. However, provided they can prove they are the registered keeper/owner and have paid the relevant fees they can nominate a third person to remove the vehicle. The third person must have a valid driving licence and a certificate of insurance covering that person to use the vehicle. The easiest way to show that you are the registered keeper of a vehicle is to produce your V5 registration document.

If you don't know how much the release fees will be for your vehicle you need to contact the police force that seized it, via the non-emergency 101 number, and clarify the matter with them.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.