Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

To drive a motor vehicle legally on a road you must:

  • ensure you have a valid licence with valid categories for the vehicle you are driving,
  • have insurance that covers you for the vehicle you are driving,
  • have an MOT (on vehicles over 3 years old),
  • make sure the vehicle is taxed,
  • make sure the vehicle is registered,
  • ensure the vehicle is in roadworthy condition.

If you come for abroad to take up residency in the UK, you must register and tax your vehicle with the DVLA immediately - UK residents are not allowed to drive foreign registered vehicles on UK roads. With regard to insurance, you must have UK insurance for a UK registered vehicle. Therefore, if you insurer a UK registered vehicle in another country, you have no insurance to drive on UK roads and are committing an offence.

If you do not have a British licence see Q416 or Q417

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.