Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Following a change to the law, the EU has implemented a system to share driver details across borders. This means that if you commit any of the offences listed below whilst driving in another EU country after 06.05.17 and the authorities in that country request your details from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) in the UK, they will have to provide them. The offences are:

  1. drink driving;
  2. driving while under the influence of drugs;
  3. failing to stop at a red traffic light;
  4. failing to use a seat belt;
  5. failing to wear a safety helmet;
  6. using a mobile telephone or any other communication device while driving;
  7. speeding;
  8. use of a forbidden lane.

The details the DVLA will have to provide are:

  • the name and address of the person who was the registered keeper of the vehicle at the time of the alleged traffic offence;
  • the name and address of the person who was the owner of the vehicle at the time of the alleged traffic offence;
  • where that person is an individual, that person's date of birth;
  • where that person is not an individual, the legal status of that person;
  • the make and model of the vehicle;
  • the chassis number of the vehicle.

Points to note:

  • The above only applies where the driver isn't penalised for the offence whilst still in the country.
  • The relevant country has 12 months from the date of the offence to apply for the information.
  • The fine levels will be the same as those in the country where the offence was committed.
  • Drivers who are planning on driving in EU can find out about traffic rules in other countries via the link below:

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.