Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Most quad bikes are only designed for off-road use. They do not conform to regulations in relation to tyres, lights, horn, speedometer etc. and it is therefore illegal to use them on a road.

However, there are some road legal quad bikes and in order to be used legally on the road they must be registered, taxed, insured, have an MOT (if needed) and the driver must hold the relevant licence. They must also comply with all the relevant requirements in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and the Road Vehicles (Lighting) Regulations 1989. A local quad bike dealer should be able to help you if you want to know whether your quad bike is road legal or alternatively contact the Department for Transport at;

The Department for Transport
Vehicle Standards and Engineering 4
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street

Public Enquiry Telephone Number: 0207 944 3000
Fax Number: 0207 676 2166

E-mail: mailto:rvsl .dot@gtnet

You could also contact Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA ) for assistance. DVSA replaced the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA ) in April 2014:


Driving licence
To drive a quad on the road you will usually need to be at least 17 and either hold a category B (full car licence) or B1 licence if it was issued before 01.01.97.

Quad bikes used on the road must have a minimum of third party insurance cover.

Quad bikes must be registered and have a front and rear number plate.

MOT requirements
Quad bikes that are used on the road will need an MOT if they are more than three years old.

Passengers can only be carried if the quad bike is designed to carry them. If you are in any doubt you will need to speak to the vehicle's manufacturer to see if it was designed for that purpose.

Crash helmets
Drivers and passengers on quad bikes don't have to wear crash helmets but it is very much recommended that they do.


If a quad bike is used only off-road and never goes onto the public road the driver does not need a licence and the machine does not need to be taxed or registered. See more information in relation to protecting off-road vehicles from theft etc.

Quad bikes used for agricultural, horticultural and forestry work need to be registered as a light agricultural vehicle.

If an agricultural quad bike is used on the road it must be registered and insured but it won't require an MoT. Quads that are used for agricultural, horticultural or forestry work don't need to be taxed. However, if you do have to pay tax, the amount you pay will depend on what you use the vehicle for. If the quad is used on the road after dark it must comply with the relevant requirements of the Road Vehicles (Lighting) Regulations 1986, with regard to the fitting and use of lights.

You can report any nuisance motor vehicles to your local police force via their 101 non-emergency number.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.