Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Ordinarily if you are a private individual then you can sell your motor vehicle on the road. However, there may be local byelaws that impose some restrictions or prohibit this altogether. If you intend on selling your vehicle on the road, you should firstly check with your local authority to ascertain whether there are any byelaws which apply in your area.

If you do sell a motor vehicle on the road then it must be insured, taxed and have an MOT.

An offence is committed if two or more motor vehicles for sale are left on a road within 500m of each other by a person acting for the purpose of a business of selling motor vehicles. This offence is aimed at certain garages and businesses that sell motor vehicles and park them for long periods of time on the road which can cause a nuisance to local residents.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.