Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.
Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.
Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:
Number of trailers
- draw more than 1 trailer,
- carry any passengers in the trailer (unless it is towing a broken down motorcycle),
- draw a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 254 kg (unless it is towing a broken down motorcycle).
Motor bicycles (two wheeled motorcycles) without a sidecar
If it doesn't exceed 125cc:
- it cannot tow any trailer (unless it is towing a broken down motorcycle).
If it exceeds 125cc (the following provisions don't apply if it is towing a broken down motorcycle):
- it cannot tow a trailer exceeding 1 m in overall width,
- the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 m,
- the motor cycle must be clearly marked with its kerbside weight,
- the trailer must be clearly marked with its unladen weight; and
- the laden weight of the trailer must not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.