Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Yes, you can have a copy of the form.

If the police officer uses a paper record of the stop/stop and search then you should be handed a copy of the form at the time you were stopped. If not, you have 3 months from the date of the stop/search to obtain a copy of the form. To obtain a copy of the form you would need to attend at the station from which the officer who carried out the search is attached. You would more than likely need to take some form of identification with you.

If the officer is using electronic means to record the stop/search then you should be handed a receipt of the record. Where a stop and search occurred details of how the full form can be accessed should also be given. The person can request a hard copy or electronic copy but not both.

See websites in related information for more details.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.