Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Bigamy can be a complicated issue but the basic premise is that you can only be married to one person at a time. It is irrelevant if one or more of the marriages took place in another country, as long as it is a legally recognised marriage. However, there must be some connection to the United Kingdom before the UK police can take any action. If you suspect a person of committing bigamy then contact your local police via their 101 telephone number.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.