Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

The Police and Crime Commissioners, the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime and their deputies will uphold the highest standards of public office. However, in the event that there is a complaint or an allegation against one of them, it is important that this is handled effectively to ensure public confidence in policing is maintained.

Allegations of criminal behaviour against these office holders will therefore have to be referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC ).

The main reason for requiring such an allegation to be referred to the IOPC is that, otherwise, the office holder may be (or may be perceived to be) at an advantage in relation to the police investigation because of his or her responsibilities for holding their police force to account.

The IOPC has extensive experience of handling sensitive, complex and high profile cases and will provide independent scrutiny to the handling and investigation of allegations of criminal behaviour in this context. Where a complaint is not serious enough to require investigation by or under the management of the IOPC , it will be resolved informally by the police and crime panel.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.