Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

A Pedlar's certificate is a certificate that allows a person to trade whilst on foot. Pedlars can travel from:

  • Door to door
  • Place to place
  • Town to town

By having a Pedlar's certificate, you MUST NOT take up a static position for longer than the time necessary to affect a sale (unless you are selling to a crowd of people who have gathered for that reason). Once you have made a sale, you MUST move on and continue to move until someone approaches you to make a purchase

Who needs one?

A person who is mobile and sells his/her wares whilst moving from place to place and is selling goods in exchange for money as an immediate sale. You are eligible for a Pedlar’s Certificate if you are over 17 years of age, have lived in the issuing area for at least 1 month and are of good character.

NB: A Pedlar’s Certificate is not needed if you are leaving a catalogue and returning later for orders or to collect monies. If you want to sell goods such as tobacco, electronic cigarettes or medicines etc. you should obtain advice from Trading Standards at the Council before starting to trade.

Pedlar Certificates are not required by commercial travellers, sellers of fish, fruit, or victuals (food and drink) or people selling at markets or fairs. A food seller needs to be registered as a food business within their local authority. In this case, contact the relevant Environmental Health team at your local council.

Please note:

  • A Pedlar must be mobile AT ALL TIMES and NOT set up in a permanent position, i.e. goods laid out on the ground or on a table.
  • They must NOT cause an OBSTRUCTION to footpaths, public highways, doorways or street corners.
  • Trading on Private Land is subject to permission of the Landowner.
  • If you intend to use your Pedlar’s Certificate in other parts of the country, you are STRONGLY advised to check with the respective council in that area first to ensure you are permitted to use your Pedlar's certificate. Many towns and cities now have their own specific laws and by-laws prohibiting pedlars with a Pedlar's certificate from trading in their areas. It is YOUR responsibility to check the law in any area that you want to work in

Trading without authority is strictly prohibited and may result in the certificate being suspended or revoked by a magistrate in a court of law.

How to apply:

When applying for a Pedlar application you must include the following:

  • Completed Application for Pedlar’s certificate form (including the Form of Recommendation signed by two referees)
  • Proof of residence in either West Sussex, Brighton and Hove or East Sussex for the last 1 month. This could be in the form of a bank statement or utility bill in your name. You must provide us with an original document and not a copy.
  • Two passport size photographs
  • One clear photocopy of identification proof, i.e. passport, driving licence or birth certificate
  • One clear photocopy of a valid Work Permit (if applicable)

Please do not send any money with the above.

Send your application to one of the following addresses:

West Sussex

Neighbourhood Licensing Team

Centenary House

Durrington Lane


West Sussex

BN13 2PQ


Brighton and Hove

Brighton Police Station

John Street




East Sussex

Hand into your local police station, where they will take payment. They will then send onto the Licensing team at:

Bexhill Police Station

Terminus Road


East Sussex

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.