Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence. You can report this and any other nuisance motor vehicles directly to your local police force via their 101 number.

You commit the offence of careless driving if your driving falls below the standard of a competent and careful driver. Whether your driving falls below this standard is a matter for a court to decide. In order to commit the offence of inconsiderate driving it has to be shown that your driving has inconvenienced another person. Neither offence makes any allowance for your level of driving experience – a learner driver can be convicted of either offence.

You can commit the offences of careless or inconsiderate driving in/on any mechanically propelled vehicle i.e. any vehicle that's powered by an engine. This means that as well as cars, lorries and motorcycles, it also includes off-road motorcycles, pit-bikes, mini-motos, tractors, plant equipment, Segways (gyroscopic scooters), electric scooters and go-carts etc. The offence also applies to both roads and public places e.g. public car parks and pedestrian precincts etc.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.