Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.
Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.
Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:
The following information is intended only as a guide and common sense should be used at all times. The main issue to consider is the safety of you and your passengers.
- If you can, drive to the next exit and leave the motorway
- Only in an emergency should you pull onto the hard shoulder, making sure you are as far left as possible
- Switch on your hazard lights
- Get out of your car from the passenger side
- Walk up the verge away from the car
- Do not attempt to do any repairs yourself, however simple
- If possible use an emergency phone on the motorway as this is a free phone that connects the Highways Agency. If you do use your mobile phone make sure you know exactly where you are
- Keep all children and animals under control.
If you cannot get your vehicle to the hard shoulder,
- Do not place any warning device (such as a warning triangle) in the carriageway
- Switch on your hazards
- Only leave the vehicle when it is safe to do so and you can get across the carriageway
For more information see links in related information.