Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.
Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.
Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:
Top tips for motorway driving are;
- Keep to the left except when overtaking
- Do not undertake
- Keep a safe distance behind the car in front, general advice is the 2 second rule. Watch for the car in front to pass a stationary object, then start counting, if you pass it before you have counted to two, you are too close.
- Keep to speed limits
- Use mirrors, but beware of 'blind spots'
- Take regular breaks (every two hours at least)
- Plan your journey and make sure you know which exit you need
- Make sure your tyres, petrol and windscreen wash are filled
- Always bear in mind the possible actions of other drivers
- Make preparations to leave the motorway in good time.
- There is no such thing as a fast lane, the middle and offside lane are for overtaking only.
For night time driving on the motorway;
- Use dipped lights if there is oncoming traffic as a full beam will dazzle other drivers
- The night vision mode on rear view mirror will prevent you from being dazzled (small catch under mirror that tilts it slightly)
- The cats eyes on the edge of the motorway change colour as follows,
- red - edge of near side lane
- amber - edge of outside lane
- white - the separation of the lanes
- green - slip road, exit and entry
For more information, see the links in related information.