Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Contact the Environmental Health Department of your local authority if this is a persistent problem. The larger departments in areas where there are persistent problems do have all night cover but this may be restricted to certain days of the week (e.g. Friday, Saturday).

All public houses and clubs are licensed by the local authority so you should complain to them about this type of problem in the first instance. If landlords take little or no notice of such complaints they could put their licence at risk.

In some areas, the police do attend at incidents such as this and can ask the landlord to turn the music down. However, the police have no powers of prosecution for noise offences so it is better to contact the local authority.

See the website in related information to find your local authority.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.