Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

In the first instance we would advise that you approach your neighbour directly in an attempt to resolve the situation. If you have already tried this, you should contact the Environmental Health department of your local authority - most have 24 hour cover so can be called at any time.

For long term problems, you may be asked to keep a diary of the noise and you may be given some equipment to record the noise.These two steps are designed to gather evidence for a prosecution, although it is likely they will give your neighbour the opportunity to turn the TV/music down without further action. The whole process can take some time to complete, so you may have to be patient. The police do not have any powers to prosecute for noise nuisance.

See the website in related information to find your local authority.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.