Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Lost and found property is not the police's responsibility, however some forces do provide a service with regards to lost and found property. You can find out if your local force offer this by telephoning their non-emergency 101 number.

You must report the loss or theft of your passport to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS). Fill in and sign a Lost or Stolen (LS01) Notification form and return it to the IPS. The address is on the form.

The form is available from,

  • UKPS offices
  • The Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000
  • Post Offices and some World Choice travel agents
  • Immigration officers at ports of entry in to the UK
  • Police Stations

Anyone wishing to report the theft of their passport must attend a police station in person and bring with them some form of identity ideally containing their name, date of birth and current address. You will need the crime reference details for the LS01 form.

You should fill the form in even if you do not wish to replace your passport. The system has been introduced in order to combat the fast growing crime of identity theft.

See related websites for more information on driving licences and passports.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.