Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.
Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.
Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:
- There is an exemption to requiring a section 1 firearms certificate in relation to certain air weapons (see Q326).
- An air weapon can be used on private premises providing the prior consent of the owner/occupier is obtained
(subject to age restrictions - see Q325).
- It is an offence for anyone shooting / supervising on private premises to allow the missile fired to go beyond the boundary of those premises.
- An air weapon can also be used at a shooting club or gallery (Fair ground).
- It is an offence for anyone to have an air weapon (whether loaded or unloaded) in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.
- It is an offence to discharge a firearm within 50ft of the centre of the highway if by doing so a person using the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.