Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

Costs of various certificates are,

  • Grant of Firearms certificate - £88
  • Grant of Shot gun certificate - £79.50
  • Renewal of Firearms certificate - £62
  • Renewal of Shot gun certificate - £49
  • Shotgun coterminous renewal - £3
  • Variation - £20
  • Explosive certificate, in some cases it is currently free but there are types of explosive certificates where a fee is payable, check with your forces explosive officer/firearms licensing department for more details.
  • Visitors' permit - £20
  • Visitors' group permit - £100

You must notify the relevant police force without delay of any change of address. There will be details of the exact person/department to notify within the papers received concerning the certificate.

Please note that all calls to police involving firearms are treated as if it is a genuine firearm so be aware that if you do wave an imitation firearm around you could find yourself surrounded by firearms officers pointing real weapons at you.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.