Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

If a police officer issued you with a ticket that you have then lost, you should go to your chosen police station. You will need to take with you your documents and inform them that you have lost the ticket. It is then likely that you will have to be dealt with by the court and will receive a summons in the post. The summons will either give a date when you need to attend court or give you an opportunity to plead guilty by letter. If you have received the ticket through the post and have lost it, then you will need to contact the Central Ticket Office of the force concerned - use the non-emergency 101 number. If you provide them with the registration number of the vehicle you were driving at the time they should be able to assist you.

If the fixed penalty was given by the council, you will need to contact them.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.