Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.
Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.
Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:
Drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) are essentially flying robots. The aircraft can be remotely controlled or can fly autonomously using inbuilt software controlled flight plans. Designed for designated purposes by the military, they are becoming increasingly popular among members of the public.
If you are considering using a drone for recreational purposes, we would advise that you consider the guidance below:
- You must not fly the drone above 400 feet in altitude or further than 500 metres away from you horizontally.
- If you wish to fly one that exceeds the limits above, you will need to seek permission from the CAA - see Q543.
- Avoid flying it within 150 metres of a congested area or 50 metres of a person or vehicle.
- Use your common sense and fly safely - making sure you can see the drone at all times.
- If you are using one with a camera, make sure you inform people before you start recording and be aware of your surroundings.
Misuse of a drone can lead to a criminal offence being committed. For any further help on how to use a drone safely and legally, please see the websites in the related links section.