Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

You should attend at your chosen police station with the ticket and the rest of your documents (insurance and MOT) in order to comply with the ticket. The person who takes the details will then note that you have not produced your licence and you are likely to be reported. The speeding ticket and the failure to produce your licence will both be dealt with at court and a summons will be issued to you in due course. You do not always have to attend court and may be able to plead guilty by letter. The summons you receive will tell you whether this is possible.

It is advisable if you have not already done so to apply for a new licence as soon as possible (see related information). If the licence comes shortly afterwards then it may be worth contacting the central ticket office of your local police force to see if they will allow you to pay the speeding fine without the possibility of attending court. This is discretionary as after 28 days a summons will be issued.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.