Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play


Ordinary licences:
While your full licence or driving permit is valid, you can drive vehicles weighing up to 3.5 tonnes, and with up to eight passenger seats, for up to 12 months from the date you came to Great Britain.

Vocational licences:
If you hold a vocational licence, you can only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside Great Britain and which you have driven into Great Britain.


Ordinary licences:
While your full licence is valid, you can drive any type of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you started living in Great Britain. To continue to drive after this you must pass a GB driving test before the 12 month period ends. If you get a GB provisional licence during this period, you will not have to display 'L' plates or be supervised by a qualified driver, and you will be able to drive on motorways. If you do not pass a test within the 12 month period, you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and the conditions of a GB provisional licence will apply. If you do not apply for a provisional licence within 12 months, you must stop driving and get a GB provisional licence by filling in an 'Application for a driving licence '(D1) (see section 9 of this booklet for details of how to get our forms and leaflets). The conditions of GB provisional licences will then apply.

Vocational licences:
You cannot drive large vehicles until you have passed the relevant GB driving test. You must pass a car driving test before applying for provisional entitlement to drive larger vehicles as a learner.

If you continue to drive after the periods stated above you will be committing an offence and your vehicle could be seized.

The following questions may also be of use:

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.