Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

There will be a good deal of information on the ticket as to what you need to do but the basic system in the UK is explained below.

The key point is whether you have a satisfactory UK address – this is defined as one in the UK at which, in the opinion of the constable, it is likely that it would be possible to find you whenever necessary in connection with court proceedings or the issue of a fixed penalty notice.

If you have such an address, the police officer will issue you with a notice in relation to your speeding offence. Then, depending on the circumstances, you may be invited to attend a Speed Awareness Course, be given a fixed penalty fine and points or have to attend court. Note that you will be notified of what action the police intend to take in due course, you cannot request a Speed Awareness Course, it up to the police to decide whether the circumstances in which you exceeded the speed limit are suitable for such a course.

If you do attend a Speed Awareness Course you will not receive any penalty points or a fine but you will have to pay for the cost of the course – foreign licence holders can take a Speed Awareness Course in the UK. Alternatively, if you are given penalty points, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in the UK will create a record for you and the points will be shown on that record.

If you cannot provide the police officer with a satisfactory UK address they will require a roadside deposit from you – for speeding this will be £100. However, if the offence is to be prosecuted at court the deposit will be £300. If you can't pay the deposit immediately, your vehicle may be prohibited and immobilised.

The following questions may also be of use:

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.