Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

The police cannot immediately attend your partner's and remove the child unless there is a specific power given to them within the order or they are satisfied that the child is, or will be, subject to significant harm.

A court can vary the conditions within a residence order provided they are satisfied with the existence of the order and that the other parent is in breach of the order.

There are other orders that you can obtain which may prevent a similar situation arising, such as a prohibited steps order. A solicitor will be able to give advice on this matter.

See also the web app provided by the Department for Work and Pensions 'Sorting out separation' (link in related information).

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.