Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

If you are a victim and you want to request a review of a CPS decision not to bring charges, discontinue proceedings or offer no evidence in a case, then you have a right to do so under the Victim's Right to Review Scheme. This is a new scheme which makes it easier for victims to seek a review of a CPS decision not to bring charges against a suspect or to terminate proceedings.

Please note however that the scheme applies only in relation to qualifying decisions made on or after the 5th June 2013. In the first instance, you will need to contact the office where the decision was made within 7 calendar days from the date of the communication of the decision, in order to ensure a prompt review. However, the scheme can be exercised for up to three months after the communication decision.

If you have had direct contact with the CPS and have had a negative experience, then you can make a complaint online, by email, post or telephone. The complaint can be made by you or by someone you ask to make the complaint but written permission will be needed for a representative to act on your behalf. You should make a complaint as soon as possible as CPS don't deal with complaints about things that happened more than 6 months ago.

See the links in 'related information' for contact details and also further information on the Victim's Right to Review Scheme. There is also a link to the 'Help for Victims' website and a Youtube guide to the website.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.