Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

If the suspect is still present you should call the police on 999. If the suspect has left you should contact your local police force who will take crime details over the phone. You should know the time or times it happened between and the size of the window smashed.

If the house is a private house you should take steps to replace the glass and secure the house. The police cannot recommend a glazier but they are listed in the yellow pages. If the house is a council house then you should contact the council to repair/replace the window.

See the website in related information to find your local authority.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.