Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

The law in England and Wales states that it is prohibited to smoke in public places and anyone who does so faces a large fine. It will affect, pubs, restaurants and night clubs. The law chiefly covers indoor places but smoking at some outdoor places, such as football grounds, could be banned.

The smoker could be fined £50 if they light up in contravention of the law but the organisation could face a much larger fine if they fail to stop you from smoking and can also face fines if they fail to display no smoking signs.

It is the responsibility of the local authority to 'police' the smoke free laws. However, if there are large groups of rowdy people outside a public house on a regular basis then it may be worthwhile informing the police.

A helpline to report breaches of the smoking law is telephone number 0800 587 166 7.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.