Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

The policy may vary from force to force but if you want to report the accident to the police then the police are required to take a report of the accident, which will then be investigated.

If you have caused damaged to any roadside property (lights, street signs etc.) then you must report the accident.

In addition to the usual requirement to provide name, address of driver and registration number of the vehicle following an accident only involving damage, if someone is injured then insurance details must also be exchanged at the time, otherwise the accident must be reported to the police as soon as possible (and no later than 24 hours).

Although you are required to report such an accident straight away you should always seek medical assistance in the first instance.

Contact your local police force for further information.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.