Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

The police may be able to assist in certain circumstances. They will not however get involved in civil property disputes and you should seek advice from a lawyer or Citizens Advice Bureau with regards to this.

If the other party agrees to your proposed action e.g. the collection of belongings, but you are concerned for your safety, a police officer may accompany you to prevent a breach of the peace. Where possible the police will check that the other party agrees to the proposed action and may explore any alternatives e.g. meeting at a neutral location to exchange belongings. If the other party does not agree to the proposed action, then it would be advisable not to attend due to the risk of provoking a breach of the peace, and to contact a solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau instead regarding alternative options.

For most forces you must have your own form of transport to and from the address. You need to go to the station which covers the area of the house where the belongings are. Unfortunately it is not a high priority for police so you may have a long wait.

It is advisable to speak to your local station as some forces will have different policies.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.