Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

The police cannot assist in boundary issues as they are a civil matter.

Do not damage or destroy the fence as you may commit criminal damage and be liable to prosecution.

The best course of action is to discuss the matter with your neighbour and try and resolve the matter informally and friendly. Try to establish if there has been a misunderstanding with the boundary. Obtain a copy of your deeds which will clearly show the boundary line and compare this with your neighbours. You should make every effort to remain on good terms with your neighbours.

If it is still not resolved then you should think about seeking advice from a solicitor or Citizens' Advice Bureau. However, be aware that getting solicitors involved could prove to be costly. The planning department of the local authority may have more information available.

See the websites in related information for more details and to find your local authority.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.