Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

The police do have a number of powers to deal with problems such these. One of the powers that the police possess is to seize a vehicle causing alarm, distress or annoyance. The car must be being used in such a way that it commits the offence of driving without due care or driving on footpath, moorland, bridleway etc and that the vehicle is being used anti-socially (i.e. it is causing alarm, distress or annoyance). There are other requirements that the police have to carry out before a car can be seized.

It is also an offence to use, cause or permit a motor vehicle to cause excessive noise which could have been avoided by the driver exercising reasonable care. You can report nuisance motor vehicles to your local police force via their 101 non-emergency number.

From a practical point of view, a police officer will usually need to be present to witness the behaviour. It is advisable to contact your local police station as soon as the vehicles start to cause a nuisance.

In many cases the drivers of the vehicles may be committed offences such a careless or dangerous driving. There may also be an number of offences in relation to the use of the vehicle and its condition.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.