Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.

Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.

Download the Ask The Police app from the following app stores:

Get it on iTunes Get it on Google Play

If this is a one off incident then you should contact the police who, if possible, will try and attend and disperse the youths. The police do now have powers to confiscate alcohol from youths in a public place including open and sealed containers (subject to certain conditions).

If this is a persistent problem then it could be classed as anti social behaviour and you should contact your local neighbourhood police officer(s) who will over a period of time collate the necessary evidence against the youths with a view for eventually obtaining civil injunctions or Criminal Behaviour Orders. Unfortunately this will not happen over night as the police and local council have to ensure that they have all the necessary evidence.

However, as a member of the public you could greatly assist the police by keeping your own diary of the behaviour. Ensuring that you record as much details as possible, including times, dates, types of behaviour, names and/or descriptions.

Current rating

1 2 3 4 5

Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC). All FAQ answers are © PNLD.