Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Adults requiring care and support may not be able to protect themselves from abuse or neglect. Sussex Police has specialist trained officers and staff who work to protect adults at risk of abuse.

Any adult can suffer abuse or neglect from anyone in their lives. Abuse can include physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse, financial abuse and neglect. Adults within a care setting may also experience organisational abuse.

Adults requiring care and support may be at risk of self neglect and potentially may lack capacity to make decisions for themselves.

Adult victims of abuse or neglect

If you are worried that you or someone you know is suffering adult abuse or neglect, please contact us immediately.

This can be done:

Remember to always call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.

Any reports of adult abuse or neglect will be provided to specialist trained officers in our Safeguarding Investigation Units. You can also give a report to us anonymously – we will record and investigate offences even if you do not want to give your details.

Multi-Agency Work

Sussex Police work with multi-agency partners to protect adults from abuse and neglect. This includes working with them on specific cases to ensure the individual receives the support they need and is protected from any further abuse or neglect.

Sussex Police and multi-agency partners also hold regular Safeguarding Adults Boards (SAB) across the county and set policy and procedures for all multi-agency partners who support adults at risk.

The Pan Sussex Multi-Agency Policy & Procedures for Safeguarding Adults at Risk

Further advice and support

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator of health and social care in England. Their website provides details of local care provides and results of their inspections.

Action on Elder Abuse provides confidential help and advice and work to protect vulnerable older adults from abuse.

Scope provides support for disabled people and advice and information on disabilities. Their website provides details of how to contact them.

Mencap support people with a learning disability and their families. More information can be found on their website.